Wednesday, April 8, 2020

2 PA Vet Homes Report Covid-19 Cases

By Walter F. Roche Jr.

Two Pennsylvania veterans homes at opposite ends of the state have been hit with coronavirus, but four others have so far avoided the pandemic.
According to a spokeswoman for the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, five residents and one staffer at the Southeastern Veterans Center in Chester County have tested positive for Covoid-19.
At the Southwestern Veterans Center in Pittsburgh one staffer tested positive, according to Joan Nissley, the agency spokeswoman.
She said there have been no deaths from the virus.
"Our homes have – and will continue – to report positive test results to county, state, and federal public health officials in accordance with CDC guidelines and are ensuring follow-up protocols are accomplished," Nissley said.
Veterans nursing homes in other states have been much harder hit where deaths have been reported at two facilities. Some 25 deaths were recorded at a veterans home in Holyoke, while five were reported at the soldiers home in Chelsea.
Contact: wfrochejr99@gmail.com

Saturday, April 4, 2020

No Covid 19 Data on Troubled City Home


By Walter F. Roche Jr.

Philadelphia health department officials are refusing to release information on the number of Covid-19 cases at the city owned 402-bed nursing home, a facility with a long list of complaints and deficiencies.
Requests for data on the number of coronavirus cases and any subsequent deaths at the Philadelphia Nursing Home were denied this week with health department officials citing a 65-year-old law, the Disease Prevention and Control Law of 1955.
The refusals continued even after Philadelphia Health Commissioner Thomas Farley voluntarily released data on the number of coronavirus cases in the city prison system.
"Those are two different situations," health department spokesman James Garrow wrote in response to the second request. "We’ve stated in the past that we are not releasing information on the disease or any cases that may happen in nursing homes."
A review of state Health Department inspection reports on the city facility show a history of multiple complaints and deficiencies including the most recent in which a wheelchair bound patient suffered serious injuries, including multiple jaw fractures, in an altercation with a roommate.
The facility was cited for failing to immediately report the incident to the Pennsylvania Department of Aging and local police.
Though the incident occurred on Aug. 10 of last year, it didn't become public until state health department surveyors visited the facility on Jan. 23 of this year.
In a plan of correction nursing home officials promised a re-education program for staffers and an auditing program to monitor compliance.
The reports show four complaints were filed against the home since January but state surveyors concluded there were no deficiencies.
But multiple deficiencies were found in an annual license inspection at the facility in a report dated Oct. 29 of last year.
Violations included mishandling of drugs, food and other sanitary violations. Records showed a refrigerator storing drugs was out of proper temperature range on multiple occasions.
The records showed a female patient continued to receive a drug which emergency physicians at a local hospital had warned the nursing home to discontinue.
After her second trip to the emergency room for a bleeding incident, the hospital sent back a plea.
"Please stop taking your blood thinner medications. This was supposed to be discontinued on your last discharge," a hospital physician wrote.
"The facility failed to provide resident with treatment and care in accordance with professional standards and practice," according to the state inspection report.
Contact: wfrochejr999@gmail.com





Friday, April 3, 2020

Fed, State Rules Ignored in Mass Transfers

By Walter F. Roche Jr.

Some 300 Massachusetts nursing home patients were being rushed to new facilities without notice despite state and federal requirements that so-called involuntary transfers from nursing homes be limited to specific circumstances and that patients be given notice of their right to an appeal.
So far the mass transfers have been announced for two nursing homes, one in Worcester, the other in Wilmington. But state officials have made it clear they are intent on expanding the program to provide some 1,000 beds for patients recovering from Covid-19.
Massachusetts regulations regarding so called involuntary transfers and discharges state, ". A facility may not discharge or transfer a resident "unless the resident or appropriate representative consented in writing to the discharge or transfer."
Federal regulations set only six justifications including the patient no longer requires the level of care provided or the facility cannot provide the necessary level of care. In addition is the patient files an appeal the transfer must be put on hold.
The transfer of 147 patients at Beaumont at University Place in Worcester was first disclosed a week ago and by early this week Beaumont patients were being transferred to other nursing homes owned by Salmon Health Care, the owner of Beaumont.
The transfers were interrupted only when it was discovered that several of the current residents already were infected with Covid-19.
Beaumont patients and their representatives only learned of the imminent transfers a week ago in a facebook post by the Salmon's, chief executive officer, Matthew Salmon.
Interviews with relatives of the Beaumont patients show none were informed individually for the transfer nor were they given a medical justification, as required.
An additional 142 patients at the Advinia Care in Wilmington also have been targeted for transfer to other homes owned by the home's parent, Pointe Group Care. That move was also put on hold today after many patients also tested positive for covid-19 despite showing no symptoms.
Questions posed to both companies about compliance with the state and federal involuntary transfer requirements went unanswered.
Massachusetts officials, including aides to Baker, also did not respond to a series of questions about involuntary transfer rules.
The rushed transfers and the manner in which they were disclosed has prompted protests from the families of current and former patients at the two facilities.
Rev. Megan Leary, who had two grandparents at the facility for several years said the way the transfers were implemented was "unethical at best."
Contact: wfrochejr999@gmail.com



A nursing home is allowed to involuntarily transfer or discharge your loved one only under the following six specific conditions.

The facility cannot meet the resident’s needs, therefore the move is necessary for his/her welfare.

The resident no longer needs nursing facility services due to improved health.

The resident’s presence endangers the safety of residents and others in the facility.

The resident’s presence endangers the health of residents and others in the facility.

After reasonable and appropriate notice, the resident has failed to pay for living in the facility.

The facility is closing.

nursing home typically must provide notice of transfer or discharge in writing at least 30 days before the proposed transfer/discharge. However, notice can be given “as soon as practicable” in the following situations:

The resident has lived in the facility for less than 30 days.

The resident’s improved condition allows for a more immediate transfer or discharge.

The resident’s urgent medical needs cannot be met in the facility (for example, an emergency transfer to the hospital).

The health or safety of others in the facility is endangered.

The transfer/discharge notice must be given to the resident, resident representative, and the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program. The notice must include:

Reason for the transfer/discharge.

Proposed effective date.

Location to which the resident will be transferred or discharged.

Information on appeal rights.

Contact information for the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program and (if applicable) agencies responsible for advocacy on behalf of persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities, or persons with mental disorders.

Documentation needs to be provided from a physician if the transfer/discharge is related to either the resident’s health, or the health/safety of other residents.

To help prevent a nursing home’s inclination to transfer residents perceived as being difficult or “heavy care”, but whose care needs fall within the level of services required by Federal law, the resident’s physician must document:

Specific need(s) that the facility allegedly cannot meet.

Attempts by the facility to meet the need(s).

Services available at the receiving facility that supposedly will meet the need(s).







Wednesday, April 1, 2020

2nd Massachusetts Facility to Get Covid-19 Patients


By Walter F. Roche Jr.

Massachusetts officials have designated a second nursing home to serve exclusively as a treatment center for coronavirus victims, forcing the relocation of some 142 current patients at the Wilmington facility.
The selection of Advinia Care was disclosed this week by the nursing home's parent company, Pointe Group Care. Campaign finance records show officers and employees of Pointe Group have donated $4,500 to Massachsuetts Gov. Charles Baker's campaign committee.
The other nursing home selected for the care of covid-19 victims in Massachusetts, Beaumont Nursing and Rehabilitation in Worcester, is owned by the Salmon Health and Retirement. Members of the Salmon family and employees of its nursing homes have donated over $20,000 to the campaign committees of Baker and Lt.Gov. Karyn Polito.
State officials have defended the unusual arrangements contending it is necessary to treat covid-19 patients separately to avoid having additional patients infected.
Relatives of current and former patients at Beaumont have protested the action contending the shift in location will be especially disruptive for a frail population, many suffering from dementia.
Rev. Megan Leary, whose grandparents lived at Beaumont for several years, said she was particularly troubled by the fact that the transfers were announced at the last minute by Matthew Salmon, the company's chief executive, on a facebook page.
Calling that move "unethical at best," Leary said there was apparently no effort to contact patients or their family members individually.
In a related development, the transfer of the Beaumont patients has been delayed because several of the current patients turned out to be already infected with covid-19. The current patients are being transferred to other Salmon facilities.
Contact:wfrochejr999@gmail.com

Jefferson Cited for Psych Unit


By Walter F. Roche Jr.

State health investigators have cited Thomas Jefferson University Hospital for a series of violations of state and federal requirements in a two-floor locked psychiatric unit.
In a report recently made public surveyors from the Pennsylvania Health Department found the hospital unit "failed to maintain a safe and sanitary environment."
Among the items cited were multiple ligature risks including electrical cords and unprotected hardware.
Still other risks included wall vents with sharp blades which had been cited in prior inspections of the same facility.
The surveyors also found that the facility failed to respond to a patient grievance and even failed to include a cope of the complaint in the patient's record.
In a plan of correction the hospital said work was already in progress to eliminate the ligature risks. The hospital also reviewed policy for the handling of grievances and revised the policy.
The hospital also promised to conduct audits to ensure the revised policy is being followed.
Contact: wfrochejr999@gmail.com

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Mass. Nursing Home to Get Coronavirus Patients


By Walter F. Roche Jr.

Owners and employees of a nursing home chain with a unique arrangement to care for Massachusetts victims of the coronavirus pandemic donated over $20,000 to the campaigns of Massachusetts Gov. Charles Baker and Lieutenant Gov. Karyn Polito.
Under an agreement disclosed Friday coronavirus patients being released from Worcester area hospitals will be cared for at the 164-bed Beaumont Nursing and Rehabilitation Center also in Worcester.
Beaumont disclosed Friday that the 147 patients now at the Worcester facility are being transferred to other Beaumont and Salmon nursing homes, a move which has prompted protests from relatives of some of those patients who are about to be moved.
Campaign finance reports show Matthew Salmon, Beaumont's chief executive officer, and other members of the Salmon family, have been regular contributors to Baker's and Polito's campaign committees.
The Salmon family has been generous contributors to other state officials including Sen. Michael Moore, a Millbury Democrat, and House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo, Democrat of Winthrop.
A spokeswoman for Beaumont and Salmon referred all questions to Beaumont's facebook page which includes a video from Matthew Salmon announcing the impending transfers.
"At this time, we are directing all inquiries to our Facebook page," Maggie Bidwell of Beaumont wrote in an email response to questions.
According to that announcement the 147 current patients are being transferred to other Beaumont facilities or other nursing homes with vacancies in the Worcester area.
Unanswered were questions including how much will be paid for each coronavirus patient and who will pay.
Questions directed to Baker's office also went unanswered.
In the video presentation Salmon said deciding to go forward with the agreement was "a very, very difficult decision" that he anguished over. He said the move was necessary to protect the current residents who would be put at risk when coronavirus patients were admitted.
He said all of the current patients would be moved by Wednesday. He also said the arrangement carried substantial financial risk.
Relatives of those current residents protested the sudden transfers and expressed concern that the disruption could have tragic results.

Friday, March 27, 2020

VA IG: Suicidal Vets Cases Mishandled


By Walter F. Roche Jr.

A Pennsylvania veteran who should have been contacted for possible follow up mental health services on two separate occasions never was contacted and committed suicide about three months after being cut off from services, according to a report from the Veterans Administration's Inspector General.
The 19-page report on services provided at the Coatesville Veterans Administration Medical Center also found that in a more recent case another veteran also with a less than honorable discharge was improperly denied an extension of mental health services because a chief of staff failed to review the veteran's actual records.
The information on the veteran who committed suicide in 2018 surfaced in the course of investigating a complaint filed in the more recent case.
The suicidal veteran had sought assistance in the Fall of 2017 and was granted 90 days of emergent mental health services and subsequently received both in-patient and out-patient services.
The patient's eligibility expired on Dec. 27, 2017.
The veteran, however also qualified for a program called REACH VET and, as a result, should have been contacted for possible follow up services. The program was established to provide assistance to veterans judged to be at high risk for suicide. Though notices of qualification surfaced on two separate occasions, no contact was made because VA staffers assumed the patient was getting care in the private sector.
"The OIG was unable to determine whether outreach would have prevented the patient's death because of unknown factor's related to the patient's death," the IG reported.
In the more recent case a veteran with a history of mood anxiety and substance use disorders was granted 90 days of emergent mental health services and first received in-patient treatment at the Philadelphia VA Medical center.
Subsequently the patient was in an outpatient rehabilitation program under the Coatesville center.
Though the veteran had sought an extension, he wasn't told until two days before losing eligibility in May of 2019 that his request was denied.
The IG found that the chief of staff handling the extension request never looked at the veterans electronic health record and was unaware that the patient was eligible for extended services under the REACH VET program.
"The chief of staff was unaware of the patient's REACH VET status and acknowledged the REACH VET status would be an important factor to consider in the extension request decision," the report states.
The chief of staff also acknowledged giving a "less than careful" review of the veteran's record.
The report also was critical of the way the veteran was informed at the last minute that his extension request had been denied.
Contact: wfrochejr999@gmail.com